To be human is to have doubts about the nature and existence of God. Many people are skeptical of the Bible’s claim that God has revealed Himself through Scripture and through the person of Jesus Christ. Common objections include: How can Christianity say it is the only way? What makes Jesus different from every other religious leader? Hasn’t science disproved the Bible? How can you take the Bible literally?
Perhaps you, like many others, have held, or still hold some of these objections. Beginning in September 2019, the Saturday Morning Men’s Meeting will address these and other objections and discuss whether there is reasonable evidence for the existence and nature of God as revealed in the Bible. We will be using Tim Keller’s book, The Reason for God, as the basis for our discussion. During the fall, we will discuss Part I of the book, “The Leap of Doubt,” addressing common objections to Christianity. During the spring, the group will discuss Part II, “The Reasons for Faith.” Although we will be utilizing The Reason for God for discussion purposes, it is not required reading–all men are welcome to join in and voice their views and opinions.
Fall 2019 schedule – Part I: The Leap of Doubt
- September 7 – Introduction/Chapter 1: “There Can’t Be Just One True Religion”
- September 21 – Chapter 2: “How Could a Good God Allow Suffering?”
- October 5 – Chapter 3: “Christianity is a Straitjacket”
- October 19 – Chapter 4: “The Church is Responsible for So Much Injustice”
- November 2 – Chapter 5: “How Can a Loving God Send People to Hell?”
- November 16 – Chapter 6: “Science Has Disproved Christianity”
- December 7 – Chapter 7: “You Can’t take the Bible Literally”
All meetings are held at 5001 Hickman Road, Des Moines, Iowa from 8:30 – 10:00 am.